Monday, July 14, 2014

Jewelry a Week Challenge- New Work




I've finally completed the piece i started back in February using a lovely artisan cut Lepidolite in quartz rounded triangle cab and Amethyst pear CZs. It was intended to be a brooch/pendant but after i melted one pin setting and flooded another, i decided the piece was telling me that wasn't the direction to go. 
I envisioned a modernized take on a Balinese granulation technique- so i made big, bold fine silver 'granules' to adorn the piece. By the time it became a pendant, instead of a brooch, i knew the chain was going to need to echo the streamlining of the pendant's design. So i paired sterling mod components i fabricated with strong, sleek rosary links featuring spiral cut amethyst beads. 
The toggle closure is fabricated to match and the cross bar has balled ends to keep the circle/dot theme going. the entire piece has my signature sea foam patina. (here's a pic of what it looked like before polishing- the black and purple are really striking!)

This piece was a challenge to me. I had to let go of my idea of how it was supposed to be and let the piece (and apparently my skill and patience levels) direct the development. Once i decided to just go with the flow, the piece became something that i enjoyed working on again and finished as a lovely piece i'm proud of. :)

No comments: