Thursday, January 30, 2014

Jewelry a day challenge January 29th

I began working on this piece yesterday when I found it in one of my cab trays. It was a piece I made for one of my PMC certifications, which would date it to 2000-2003.
It was a very experimental piece with metal clay hinges and metal clay bezels for the two non kiln safe stones to be set after firing. The square one shrank perfectly, the large one for the charoite was too small. So back then,  before I learned to solder, I patched the bezel with metal clay and refired that part. The hinges were too thin, the hinge 'pin' was a bundle of lopsided torch balled 24g headpins, that never sat right, and the bezel looked like it was Frankensteined.... I had worn it a couple of times and it would get caught, as the headpins were too long and the hinge finally broke slightly. It was tucked away as an example of failed design.
Fast forward many years and much improvement in skill. The base is solid. The shape is good. The design has a nice Asian flair, reinforced by the kanji texture on the back of the piece. It was worth saving. So, I reworked its weaknesses.
I removed the hinge. Unset the rainbow moonstone and charoite. Cleaned up where the hinges were and removed the patchwork bezel. The I set to evening out the fine silver base where the bezel had been attached,  patched and filled in. I made a new bezel from fine silver bezel stock. I cut a piece of silver tubing and cleaned up its edges
Then I soldered it all together with silver solder- the top piece with the moonstone and purple czs, the tube and the bottom focal part. And then I had to put the bail back on after I set the moonstone because I got a little too rough with it.  So, moonstone came back out, reattached the bail and then cleaned it up. As the piece was originally executed in metal clay, there was a lot of cleaning up to do. Fingernail markes, uneven thickness of the edges.... I toiled until almost midnight last night, vowing not to let the piece win. But I had to let it, and me, rest.
Tonight's work was finishing the edges, filing and sanding out a divot in the bail, polishing everything, setting the stones, applying patina and then final finish and polish.
I think for an experimental piece from my early career,  it cleaned up nice. :)
If I can find a pic of the original,  I'll post it so you can see the comparison.

No comments: