Monday, May 18, 2015

Weekly Challenge - Week 20

Much like the oft cursed writers block, visual artists also get creative block... in my studio, it's ruefully referred to as Makers Block and has a myriad of inconsistent cures, and only one or two consistent ones.

There have been many things going on in my life lately that have drained my creative energy to near critical levels- not necessarily bad things- just things that require a certain level of my focus and my will. This is not unusual for a sensitive artist type person to experience- sometimes just day-to-day takes too much from us- the curse of feeling life so deeply. If we try to force the creativity when the energy isn't there, it's obvious in the work that we make. It lacks authenticity, spirit and a voice.

I've pulled designs from my archives to execute and get half way through and realize they're lifeless. and it's my fault. So, i'm going to do what i know works to get the creative batteries recharged- I'm going to spend the weekend in the woods, hunting for textures, rocks, quiet moments and memories with friends and family.

Once i come back, recharged and ready to face the world anew, i'll get my Mobile Metal Studio rewards worked on and send out my next update. I've had to back burner the project for the last few weeks even though it has pained me to do so. I found a VW Bus in Murfreesboro TN, although the rust repair may be more than i can take on with everything else as it is.

In the meantime, here's what i have been working on that i feel isn't lacking in heart because they're technical exercises, samples for my upcoming class. (the top one was made last week- the bottom one the newer, more Art Nouveau approach)


No comments: